Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 1

My first day. One word - wet.

I actually brought along a blank tigger journal/notebook so that I can write about my trip, but I figured that as long as there's wi-fi, I prefer typing to writing.

I left home at 5am today, got on a cab with Ehsan (she's going to Ottawa) to the airport. I was exhausted. I only had a couple of hours of sleep. I have been trying to pack as little as possible, but still have everything. I ended up with a half-filled medium-sized suitcase and my reliable med school backpack.

Uneventful flight. Well, a small embarassing moment when the flight attendant petted my pink teddy bear. I have a pink teddy bear that my sis bought for me for my 19th birthday, and I usually hug it to sleep. I brought it with me so that I can sleep on the plane. And I am sure I've passed the age to carry teddy bears in public. I was also wearing a t shirt with a big blue adorable elephant in front.

Arriving at Montreal at 1pm, I took a bus out of the airport (maybe 45 mins?) and walked (maybe 5 mins) to a sweet little boutique hotel. It was HOT!! I think I'm not used to the humidity. I was drenched in my own sweat by the time I arrived at the hotel.

I booked it because it has really high ratings and is quite cheap. I wasnt really expecting much. When I was walking to the hotel, I was a little unsure of the neighbourhood. Not exactly sketchy but it's not in the best part of downtown either, but damn convenient. Only about a block from the underground train station.

And when I walked to the door, it was locked! With a keypad. Hmm. Then I saw the doorbell. Then the owner opened the door and I was blown away. The outside is old and run down. It was built in 1916. But the inside is modern and pretty. No elevators. Only 13 rooms. My room is small but it's lovely! Everything looks newly renovated. Simple and pretty. And the huge Samsung flat screen tv doesnt hurt either.

Then I went out to get lunch. I dont have a map so I just walked randomly. I bought fried rice from a nearby food court, which tastes awful. Then I tried to take random trains to random places. Awful too, coz I have no idea where I'm going. I finally bought a map, took the proper train and visited the Notre Dame Basilica.

It's lovely!! I love beautiful gothic architecture. But of course it was raining. I do have an umbrella but I was still drenched. Water was soaking my shoes. I didnt pack a handbag (bad idea) so I bought a blue foldable polyester bag with bears on it.

So yeah, a wet day, first with my sweat, then the rain.

For dinner, I went to a nearby grocery store for packed sushi, a ham roll and an apple.

I wish I have a French-English dictionary with me. I really dislike not knowing all those words on the roads, buildings, posters, etc. And I have to keep saying "I'm sorry. I dont speak French".

As you can see, I didnt get to do much today. I was back to the hotel at around 5pm and fell asleep at 8pm. My dad called at 11pm. I havent been able to fall asleep since. I'm hoping to go out at 9am tomorrow and start my adventure! Hopefully we'll have better weather so that I can take more pictures. I only took 3 pictures today in total.

2 comments:

mizah said...

You can say 'Non, Je ne parle pas français', which basically means No, I don't speak French' in French.

Asking a person if he speaks English, you can ask 'Parlez-vous anglais?'

My French is very very rusty, but I hope that helps. :)

liz said...

Nope, coz I'm now in New York City where everyone speaks my favourite language :) Anyway, everyone is bilingual in Montreal. They just prefer French.