Thursday, September 30, 2010

Eat Pray Love

Yesterday I went out with my Aunty Elizabeth and one of my seniors for lunch. Only $10.95 for more than a hundred different dishes, including dim sum!! Mostly chinese dishes, with some ang mo dishes, sushi, and desserts. Yum~ After sending my senior home, I went to Aunty's home to help her with her FB. Hehe. And then we went to the cinema to watch "Eat, Pray, Love", and finished the day with excellent Japanese food.

Before I watched the movie, I have to admit that I was interested to watch the movie someday and read the book someday, but it's one of those movies that I'll watch when someday it crosses my path again. The storyline sounds a bit too predictable, but still quite interesting.

But after I've watched the movie, I have to say that Julia Roberts is very very gorgeous, even though she is already in her 40s. And Bali looks very very interesting. And David Lyons is very very hot. Why does Australia have all the hot guys???

Actually, a lot of people are rather surprised/shocked/scandalised/etc to know that I've been travelling for 6 weeks all by myself. I've been asked if I was bored or scared, by family, friends and even strangers I've met during my trip. And it's hard for me to explain why. I can come up with a simple but true reason - "My family and friends are not free" but I did not explain that I didnt really ask anyone to come with me anyway. I sometimes say "I dont know why but I've always wanted to travel alone", and the other person will nod. As if they understand, but they don't.

"Eat, Pray, Love" is the memoir of a woman in search of.... life. Some people grows up knowing what they want out of life - career, marriage, children - so that's what they do, only to find out one day that something is missing in their life. They dont even know who they are anymore. So they either get on with their miserable life, or they ran away in search of that "something".

And when they ran, people around them get hurt. The divorce. The abandoned children. They don't understand why. Of course they don't.

Not many people are born with the luxury to be able to choose who they want to be. Some people are forced to become someone else due to expectations, responsibilities, stupid mistakes, personal limitations, financial restrictions, etc. And one day when Fate hands them a chance to undo their regrets, some people takes it. With the selfishness of an injured soul, unable to see beyond themselves.

I remember one moment many many years ago when I went to have my hair cut in a salon, I looked at the hairdresser and suddenly wondered what is the meaning of her life. What are her hopes and dreams? She can't possibly want to spend the rest of her life working for someone else as a hairdresser. There must be something she wants to achieve. But I was young, and arrogant. I hope I've matured since. Maybe, just maybe I can understand the beauty of a simple, contented life.

Unlike Liz Gilbert in "Eat, Pray, Love", I am not unhappy with my life. But I am in search of something. It is that elusive concept that drives my love for travelling by myself. It is the promise of adventure, independence and love. And of course "dolce far niente".

In the movie, she seems to make a lot of friends. During my 6 weeks, I've talked to a lot of strangers. And actually, there were a number of people with whom I could have developed a friendship with, but I didn't really want to.

Some of the more memorable people I've met include a very nice middle-aged lady who was also on the cruise by herself, because her husband has just passed away from a rare muscle disorder. She invited me to Denver, her hometown.

A cute guy who works at one of the Smithsonian Museums in Washington DC. He asked for my name. I smiled at him and said nothing. There was a few seconds of awkward silence. Then he smiled and said "nice to meet you". I replied "nice to meet you too" and walked away.

Another cute guy I met on the trolley bus in New Orleans. He was there with his brother-in-law. We talked for a while. Actually, I was being unfair. He was simply trying to be nice, but I was simply trying to be polite. And evasive. I think he sensed that because I didnt ask him a single question. When the trolley has reached his stop, he turned to me and asked for my name. I told him, because he was about to get out of the bus anyway. He told me he'll be in town by himself for a few days. I said something like "Have fun. You'll love it". I think he was hoping for a different answer, but I'm not interested in a vacation fling. Haha.

Well. Sorry. I only remember the cute guys. I've long since forgotten the creepy ones, the scary ones, and the boring ones. But my point is, if you wanted it, you could have it.

I guess I like to think "what if" more than I like reality. Reality is never actually as fun. And sometimes you have to pay for reality.

But of course, I still love traveling with family and friends. It's a different type of fun. A different type of adventure. At least I dont have to eat alone.

No comments: